Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Jewel? JeWeLs...

My given name is Julie. Just Julie, it's not short for Juliette or for Juliana. It's just Julie.
Many friends call me Jewels.
I like the nickname. It suits me well.

I don't, however; ever introduce myself as Jewels or Jewel, for that matter.  You won't hear me say, "Hello, I'm Jewels."

My best friend of over 30 years has always called me Jewels, she even calls me Juliana, as well as, Dude.

Last week my four year old called me DUDE. I replied, "Honey, you can call me Mom, Mommy, Mother, Madre, Mami or Julie but never Dude." It didn't occur to me to say Jewels, it never does.

My blogs are titled Jewels Organically and Jewels, The Brainstorm. In several of my social networking
platforms I use the name Jewels. I've used the name Jewels in email addresses for the past two decades.
I am a fan of Jewels but when folks introduce me as Jewels I usually am looking around for her. Because of my email addresses and my labels in certain sites many folks call me Jewels. I must say when I get correspondence addressed to Jules, I wonder if they realize Jules is the male form.  I just shake my head and  sometimes snicker.

Slowly Jewels is becoming my true moniker.

My mom, my dad, my grandparents and my life partner, they are just a few of the folks who have never called me Jewels and I find it unlikely they ever will.

What's in a name?

What is your nickname? Who gave it to you? Do you like it?

Sharing is caring!

Namaste!

No comments:

Post a Comment