Monday, February 10, 2014

Viejo, Mi Querido Viejo

To the man I call Abuelito! 

This past week my dear old man, my Abuelito Fausto went home to be with the Lord.  As a youngster grandpa grew up in Guayaquil, Ecuador with his parents, brothers, sisters and extended family. Early in life he decided to embark on an adventure and immigrated to New York with his family. Grandpa worked in custodial engineering to support and raise his family.  For a greater part of his life, my Abuelito, Don Fausto, as he was lovingly called by all his friends and family, was the unfailing, tried and true President of ”La Liga Deportiva Ecuatoriana de Indoor Futbol,” an Ecuadorian Soccer League in New York City.  One of his favorite things to do was pack up the kids, make some sandwiches and walk on over to Shea Stadium to cheer on his beloved Mets.  In the early ‘80s Grandpa accomplished one of his greater dreams becoming a home owner in Corona, Queens were he lived until a little under a decade ago.  He retired from his jobs at age 65 and later relocated to Florida.  

My dear Abuelito was able to create a wonderful life for himself and not only his immediate family but extended family alike. He was very patriotic and had an authentic love for this country he called home and relished in the “American Dream.” Grandpa and I would talk for hours about politics, life experience and of course jokes. Grandpa cracked jokes with the best of them and I had a way of making him cackle, it was endearing.  He was always a proud and knowledgeable man. He celebrated life and love in all ways quite often. He was an orator with a talent for eloquent speech. On the day we celebrated my Quinceanera he moved me to tears with the love he relayed in his toast, it was inspired and so sweet.  He captivated folks with his warmness and bright light. He welcomed everyone into his home and was truly devoted to his family.  His love for his wife and children was unwavering and ardent.  My grandpa, Don Fausto will always be remembered as a fun- loving, easy-going, hard-working man who was full of integrity and joy.  He gave of himself often and never asked for anything in return, his love is unconditional. 

Our dear Grandpa Fausto is survived by his beloved wife my Abuelita, Julia Elena, as well as a host of loving grand-children, great-grand-children, nieces, nephews, cousins, and friends who will always cherish his memory. 

I for one intend to always honor your legacy of love.

I love you Abuelito, with my heart and soul.


No comments:

Post a Comment